Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving

 This is the first time in 49 years that I have not been with my extended family for Thanksgiving.  It was strange, but it's been a strange year.  Jeff made the call a couple weeks ago that we shouldn't gather because the stupid virus is still spreading.  Noah had been planning to host Thanksgiving at his house, but he came over here instead.

I feel bad saying this, but it was actually the best Thanksgiving I can remember having.  I woke up completely stress-free and remained that way all day.  I had no plan for when we would eat, just told Noah to come over whenever he felt like it.  He arrived around 10:30 and started peeling potatoes, as he has done for the last 16 years.  We made mashed potatoes and turnips and gravy (Sarah helped with the constant stirring of the gravy and she mashed the potatoes).  Noah made green bean casserole.  I made stuffing from a box. I had made pies a couple days ago, and yesterday Amy brought sweet potato crescent rolls.  So we had a whole big meal without a ton of work, and it all miraculously came together around noon.  Noah brought sparkling cider, which was a nice treat.  

We sat around the table and enjoyed a nice meal together. Mike helped me clean up the kitchen, and then we moved on to Christmas.  We usually put the tree up the day (or weekend) after Thanksgiving, but we just went on ahead and did it today while Noah was here.  


The annual hanging of the broken toy parts. 

The cats favorite day of the year. The hanging of the catnip-stuffed mittens. 
 A drug-induced brawl broke out after I took this picture.

Noah set up the nativity scene, socially distanced for this year,
 and Shadow came along like a big, scary predator.

A rare picture of the teenager, who didn't want to be involved in much.

Hauling up the Christmas decorations.  I gave him a tiny tree and a wreath to put in his house.

The rare Sarah, pouring the sparkling cider.


She's mashing the potatoes and I'm reaching around her to get the gravy spoon.

Preparing the potatoes.  I'm still in my jammies, but soon warmed up and stripped down.

                                                               Stirring gravy and mashing potatoes.

No comments: