Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pipe dreams

We watched a show about all the available cheap houses in foreclosure in Florida, which inspired me to look some up online.  There are some amazing deals out there.  Mike and I fantasized about buying a $65,000 house that was built in 2005 and is five miles from the beach.  We talked about it all night like we were really going to do it, but then the practical realities began to set in, and we realized it was yet another on our long list of pipe dreams.

Then I started searching totally outrageous real estate and found a set of four islands for sale off the coast of Florida.  For a mere 18 million dollars, we could own an entire island, plus the house on it, and all the neighboring islands.  I slipped into a lengthy fantasy about that  After some more research, I found that if we put down a 3.7 million dollar downpayment, our monthly mortgage payments would be $87,000 per month for the next 30 years. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How clever, I found this very interesting. BTW, please don't mention all this to my dh, he's been wanting to move for years. This sounds like the plan he's been looking for. ~ j

Janes Family said...

Hey, maybe we could share it between the four of us! :)