Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Girl Scouts



Every spring, I used to get miffed at the Girl Scouts.  They make the best thin mint cookies, and I can polish off a whole box in one sitting.  Back when I sold them myself about a hundred years ago, they were about $1.50 per box, and you got a substantial amount of cookies in each box.  Now I'm paying $3.50 per box and getting far less cookies in the box. 

So this year, I decided to make my own.  I found a recipe online and whipped up a batch.  Well, I didn't exactly WHIP them up; they were very labor intensive.  After hours of work and mess, the result was certainly not a Girl Scout thin mint.  It wasn't the recipe's fault, because I didn't follow it.  I was supposed to use peppermint oil, but I didn't want to buy a whole expensive bottle of it, so I just used mint flavored chocolate for dipping (it was "healthy" chocolate--75% cacao and pretty bitter).  And, most importantly, I forgot to bake them on parchment paper, so they stuck onto the cookie sheet, and I had to chip them off in little chunks.  Many of them just turned into dust.

I now have a greater appreciation for the Girl Scouts and don't mind paying $3.50 a box for good thin mints.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Do they taste okay? Maybe you could put them in a ziploc bag and have the kids go to town crushing them up... Then use it for a crust for a pie. A chocolate cream pie sounds yummy. Mmmm...

Janes Family said...

That's a brilliant idea, Jessica! They taste pretty blah, but I hate to see all those ingredients (and time and effort) go to waste, so I'll try it.

Jessica said...

I'm curious to see how it turns out - if your cream pie filling is tasty I'm sure you won't notice the "blah" taste of the crust. I'm sure adding that butter to bind the cookie crust together will help, too. :)

Janes Family said...

Adding butter to anything always helps! :)