Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Isaiah

I found a baby bird on the ground two days ago.  His nest was way up high in our tree.  No way to get him back in it.  My kids and their friends dug for worms.  No luck.  We soaked some cat food in water and fed it to him.  Noah found a grub, and the bird gobbled it up.  Here he is in a nest I found, which is not his, but he settled right into it.


I called Clara, the wildlife rehabilitator who raised the baby mourning dove I found last year.  She told me to bring him right over to her house.  I delivered him, and he is doing well.  Clara asked for suggestions for a name, and I immediately thought of Isaiah 40:31 ("But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles...") and suggested Isaiah.  She liked it, and now that's his name.  


Clara and I didn't know what kind of bird he was, but I did some research and was pretty sure he was a grackle.  This morning I heard his siblings high up in their nest, screaming for food.  I watched for awhile, and Mom and Dad arrived with food.  Definitely grackles.
I told them that Isaiah is doing well.  I hope he flies back to visit when he grows up.

No comments: