Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Piggy casserole

I was scrounging through the fridge, trying to come up with something for dinner.  Sarah and her friend were crafting on the front porch, while Noah was entertaining the little brother of Sarah's friend.
The only possibility I saw was the container of leftover pork and rice that we're all tired of by now.  I chopped up the pork and dumped some frozen peas on top.
 I like these glass containers with lids.  I can store leftovers in them, but also put them in the oven, microwave, and dishwasher.

 Meanwhile, I cooked some green pepper, onion, and garlic in butter.  Can't go wrong with that.  It was around in here when Sarah came in and asked, "What's for dinner?"  As if I knew what I was doing, I replied confidently, "Piggy casserole."  She gave me the crooked eye, but said it smelled like ham & corn casserole, which she likes.  So far, so good. 

 When the veggies were soft, I stirred in some flour,

 and added some milk and chicken broth. Somewhere around in here, Sarah's friend came in for minor first aid for a glue gun burn.

 Added some garlic salt and pepper.

 Dumped it all in the leftovers and peas and stirred up the whole mess.

 Put some cheese on top, because that makes everything better.

Ground up some bread heels and topped the whole thing with those.  Blessed it and put it in the oven at 350 for about half an hour.
It wasn't the greatest, but it kept people alive another day.

No comments: