Tuesday, July 21, 2015

"Refried" beans

Day 2 of being home with no kids.  I invented a recipe for refried beans, though they aren't fried OR re-fried.
Looks gross.  Into the crockpot went a small bag of pinto beans, some carrots that the children were supposed to eat with their lunch on Sunday and have been lying around drying out ever since, an onion (peeled and halved), a banana pepper from a friend's garden that has been hanging around for a couple weeks, lots of garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and cumin. I covered the whole mess with water and cooked it uncovered for 7 or 8 hours on high.  Then I noticed that the water level had gone down quite a bit but the beans were still a little hard, so I covered the pot and kept cooking for a couple more hours.
 Still looks gross. I dumped the contents of the crockpot into the blender and added some milk (both to cool off the hot mess and add some creaminess).  Blended like crazy until it was smooth and creamy.
I sprinkled some shredded cheddar on top and put it under the broiler for a couple minutes.  Then we dipped chips in it and called it dinner.  I ended up with about 12 cups of this stuff, and the whole pot cost less than $1.50.

No comments: