My first snag was that when I pulled the applesauce out of the fridge, I noticed it was moldy. Had to throw that away. :( I didn't have any more applesauce, but I had plenty of apples, so I made my own applesauce. Unplanned and time-consuming, but tasty and successful. Back to the recipe. After I added the applesauce, the batter was coming together like bread dough instead of muffin batter. Clearly missing some liquid. I'm not a rookie; I know I must go back and carefully check the recipe to make sure I got all the liquid and measured it correctly. Almond milk, check. Vinegar, yep. Applesauce, just did it. Maple syrup, yep, I remember measuring that and thinking that was an expensive ingredient. Vanilla...nope, forgot that. But I doubt 1 1/2 tsp of liquid is going to fix this dry batter. I add the vanilla. Still dry bread dough.
I'm surprised that the Forks Over Knives people would mess up a recipe so badly, but I clearly need to fix it. I add more almond milk and applesauce. It's still pretty thick, but I'm going with it. If I don't get them in the oven soon, they won't be ready before Noah has to leave. I put them in the oven, set the timer, start cleaning up, and notice....1/2 cup of maple syrup carefully measured, still sitting there in the measuring cup. Well, there's the problem. These muffins are going to be disgusting.
Whole Wheat Berry Muffins
from FORKS OVER KNIVES - THE COOKBOOK