Friday, July 17, 2020

Another wild one

My dad had a stroke last night.  Mom told me this morning, but this was the morning of Noah's big test to get into the steamfitters/pipefitters union.  I didn't want that on his mind during the test, so I waited until he left before I went to the hospital.  I took food for Mom, books for Dad, and a Sudoku game to play together (and to test his brain).  He was in ICU but doing amazingly well.  He seemed just the same as he always does.  We played Sudoku, and he proved that his brain still works just fine.
Only one visitor at a time, so Mom and Jeff and I rotated.  Then I thought I would go visit Mike's dad, since he was just across the street at the other hospital.  Navigating the confusing maze of hospitals is always difficult for me, and it took me a full 30 minutes to get to Marty's room.  Here I am roaming around, trying to find the right entrance to OSF.
There was a funny moment with each dad.  The nurse was asking Dad questions to determine if he was able to comprehend and communicate.  One of the questions was, "Do you know what brought you here?"  Dad looked blank and confused and then said, "An ambulance."
The board in Marty's room said:
and at first glance, I thought it said, "Patient will not put up with any shit."

Mike and Noah and I met his realtor and his boss at the house he wants to buy.  He wanted Victor to look it over and give his opinion, since he's been in the construction business for years.  He gave a favorable opinion and thought it was worth an offer.  Mike and Noah and I had a big meeting.  Noah asked, "How much does it cost  every month to be an adult?"  So we wrote out all the expenses he would have, compared it to his income, and determined that he could do it.  We might call the realtor tomorrow and make an offer.  He said his apprenticeship test was very hard and he's not sure how well he did.  He has to wait 2-3 weeks to find out.  If he doesn't make it into the union this time, Victor told him he's always got a job with him.

Sarah had band camp all day, but I bought her lunch, and tonight Mike took her out for a banana split so she wouldn't feel like everything is all about Noah.

No comments: