Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Wert - Day 4

Monday, June 6, 2022

Up at 5:00 a.m. to head to South Beach for the sunrise.  Upon opening the car doors, we noticed a distinctly unpleasant stench.  Mike said it smelled like dead mouse.  We searched everywhere and couldn't find the source.  On the drive to the beach, the realization dawned on me: the dead crab I found two days ago and put in the trunk.  When we got to the beach, the crab was evicted and car aired out. 


sun hitting the tops of the mountains


So much driftwood washes up on this beach that people build stuff out of it.  I felt like a crab as I moved into this shelter that someone else built.  


Kelp is a fascinating creation.  

inside my little crab shell

the view from inside

more facets of kelp


a beautiful chilly morning, but much clearer than yesterday
We took the ferry back to the mainland and started driving toward Mt. Rainier.  Towns started getting sparse, so we thought we should stock up on food and gas at a Safeway.  When we got to our motel, we were sure glad we had stocked up because there was nothing out there.  It was so remote that there was no cell service.  Our room was actually a little cabin that was very nice and close to the entrance to Mt. Rainier. 
When searching for power outlets behind the bed, I found a couple homeless pets and set them in the window.  

The artwork consisted of a cheap plastic empty frame.  





We walked along Nisqually River and went to bed at 8:00.  We discovered how attached to the internet we really are.  Couldn't check the weather forecast or hours for the park, couldn't blog or even listen to an audiobook.  We found ourselves grateful for heat, electricity, and running water.  I usually go to sleep listening to something in my earbuds, but with nothing to stream, I had to resort to listening to my own piano/singing that I recorded on my phone at church just before we left. It was this one: songs  

No comments: