Saturday, June 11, 2022

Wert - day 8

Friday, June 10, 2022

Back to the Little Brown Hen for breakfast. We were sitting by a mom and her two little kids. She went to use the atm when she realized they only take cash. She couldn’t remember her PIN. I gave Mike a nudge to pay their bill. We had a nice chat with them and her little boy said, “Thank you, Mr. Mike and Janel” in such a sweet way that it made me cry. When they left, the kids gave us these little origami birds.


Went in search of Phil's magical trail and found it in Siuslaw National Forest, Siltcoos Lake Trailhead.  

They update the bear signs with markers when one is sighted, but the marker was mostly washed away, so we were on the lookout for bears the whole time.  
It was indeed a magical forest, full of mist and fog, trees dripping with moss.  My imagination conjured up scenes of fairies and unicorns.  We were the only ones on the trail. 

The trail was a little muddy.  We got a little filthy.
It was raining and/or misting and/or dripping the whole way.  It was humid like a rainforest, so we shed our layers.  Mike tied his sweatshirt around his waist, but it came loose.  I was behind him, so I picked it up and carried it for a couple miles before he realized it was missing.  He tied it back on and took off down the trail (which was somehow uphill both ways).  A little while later, I saw his sweatshirt on the ground again, so I picked it up again.  Turns out he had dropped it on purpose this time and was waiting around the bend to see my reaction.  
We drove to Crescent City, California, and stayed at the Oceanfront Lodge.  When we were checking in, the guy said something about the original room we booked being unavailable so they gave us a free upgrade.  The upgrade was wonderful!  We had reserved just a regular room with a queen sized bed.  They put us in a suite with a jacuzzi in the room, a huge bathroom, a balcony with a fantastic view of the ocean, a kitchen, and a king sized bed.  Everything was old and dirty, and the toilet leaked, and the computer in the business center didn't work, and there was no water in the pool, but it was still a great place.  




I scampered across some rocks to go to this lighthouse, but when I got to it, the lighthouse keeper told me I had to hurry back because the tide was rising and I would soon be stuck on the lighthouse rock all night.  So I ran back and the water level was already higher and the rocks were underwater.  I fell into the water with my good camera and my phone.  

My phone was unscathed, but my camera has still not recovered.  I had just captured a picture of Big Foot, so my theory is he pushed me into the water in an effort to hide the evidence, but it didn't work.  I was able to recover the picture from the memory card.
I'm starting to believe this whole Sasquatch nonsense, because I saw him again while we were driving and I went to grab my phone to take his picture, and I could not find my phone.  In the car. Where could it be? After he disappeared into the mist, I found my phone right where it should be.  Then I tried to google Sasquatch, and guess what? Suddenly no internet connection.  Hmm....







No comments: