Thursday, June 9, 2022

Wert - day 7

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Went to the Little Brown Hen for breakfast.  Good food, nice people, homemade marionberry jam.  I'm not familiar with the marionberry, but it seems to be popular around here, and the jam was delicious.  The Hen only takes cash, and we didn't have any.  We also didn't bring an atm card.  Thankfully one of the employees agreed to let us PayPal him.  

Cute little dog in the van next to us.  He was needlessly scared of me.

We stopped at a grocery store on the way home to get food for later, and there was a mini Pacman game there.

From the parking lot, you can walk right out onto some sand dunes.  That was a fun adventure we weren't expecting!


Mike found a kildeer nest 
Random quote from Mike: "If you get hungry on vacation, you're doing it wrong."

This brings us to The Case of the Missing Swimsuit.  Skip this whole paragraph if you're not into it.  Several days ago, I hung my wet swimsuit in the car while we were driving.  That night, I wanted to wear it to swim in the hotel pool but I couldn't find it.  We both searched the luggage and the car, and it was nowhere to be found.  I wore my backup suit, and we had much discussion over several days about where the other one could be.  I moved everything, looked under the seats in the car, rummaged through all my clothes, looked in strange places.  Where could it be?  I thought maybe it somehow fell out of the car and was gone forever.  This morning we were going through the usual "what do we wear in this kind of weather" routine and I decided on my lighter coat.  As I took it off the hanger, I said to Mike, "Why does this coat feel so heavy?" and as I attempted to put my arm through the sleeve, I was blocked.  There was my missing swimsuit, stuffed into the sleeve of my coat.  The odd thing is, neither of us remembers putting it there.  

My cousin Phil told me about a "magical trail" that led to a lake that he remembered doing when he was here.  His directions were a little vague (just south of town, trail on the east side of the road), but I wanted to go search for it.  We found something that looked promising.  It did end in a lake, but it was not magical.  Watched a bird diving for a fish and then moved on.  I saw several places that matched the description, but Mike didn't pull over every time I said, "I think that looks like a magical trail!  No wait, it's a driveway."  When we got back to the hotel, Phil sent more detailed information, so maybe we'll try again on the way out of town tomorrow.  

Mike took a nap while I walked the beach searching for treasures.  It was chilly, spitting rain, and very windy, and the sand was stinging my legs, but I do love the beach. 

I saw a seagull with a gimpy leg, and I was eating a banana, so I sat near him and offered him some.  He eventually came over and ate it.  We went to the pool and were going to walk to a house that was being constructed, but it started raining harder, so we're staying in tonight.

No comments: