Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Healthy lemonade

I made lemonade for Sarah's birthday party, and we have some left.  The kids wanted some at lunch, so I gave them each a small glass of it.  When Noah asked to be excused, I asked him if he had eaten any apple slices, and he said, "No, but I ate a lot of carrots, and I had lemonade, so that's my fruit and vegetables right there."  I informed him that there was no actual lemon in the lemonade, just lemon flavoring and sugar and no nutritional value at all.  He said, "How do they make the lemon flavoring?"  That gave me pause.  I have no idea how it's made, nor have I ever cared.  I ended up telling him that I doubted there was any actual lemon involved, and even if there was, it certainly wouldn't be enough to qualify as a serving of fruit. 

No comments: