Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Little girl conversations

I took Sarah to the park to play, and she immediately honed in on a little girl swinging.  Sarah started swinging next to her, and I sat on a bench behind them to listen to their conversation:

Sarah:  Hi! I'm Sarah. I'm 6.
Girl: Oh. I'm only 5.
Sarah: Well I used to be 5.  I've only been 6 for...not very many days.
G: My room is green with stickers.
S: Cool!  My room is pink.
G: I love pink!
S: Me too!  Love love love it!
G: My brother is 16.
S: My brother is 8.  His name's Noah, and he just has a brown room.  My mom's right back there.  Hi, Mom!
[I gave her a wave]
G: I don't like pink.
S: I don't either!

The conversation went on for a long time, and I wish I could remember the rest.  I remember a lot of meaningless jabber that neither of them understood, but it didn't seem to bother either of them.  The girl was telling Sarah about a movie that Sarah had never seen, and then Sarah was telling the girl about a book that she didn't seem to recognize, but they just went right on talking. 

No comments: