Friday, November 11, 2011

The dreaded question

I'm not ashamed of homeschooling, but I don't broadcast it either.  Maybe it's because when most people find out, they put me in a box that I don't fit in, complete with assumptions like:
1. I must be a genius.
2. I must be a saint.
3.  I must be SO patient.
4.  My kids must be geniuses.
5.  I must grow my own wheat.
6.  We must never fight.
7.  I must think I'm better than everybody else.
8.  I must be judging you if your kids are in public school.
9.  I am perfect, and so are my kids.
10.  I must wear denim jumpers and head coverings.
11.  We must be happy all the time.  
12.  My kids are "unsocialized".
None of those things are true in my case.  Another reason I don't much like talking about it is that it could lead to...the dreaded question.  I haven't been asked in awhile, so I was getting relaxed. Then today, out of the blue, a guy asked me, "Why do you homeschool?"

It's a perfectly reasonable question, and it's not offensive; the only reason I dread it is because I don't know how to answer it!  I never have. I remember a conversation with my in-laws when our first child was 6 months old.  My father-in-law asked The Question, and I became paralyzed.  I stumbled and stuttered.  I don't remember exactly what I said, but I'm pretty sure it was something like, "Duh, I dunno."  I've regretted it ever since, but I still don't have a good, concise answer to give people.  It's so complicated and yet so simple.

How do I boil it down to something coherent?  I'll list some reasons (I don't think I can even name them all), and maybe you can come up with a succinct reply for me.  These are in no particular order.
1.  I've always believed it's what God wants for my family.
2.  I love my kids and want to spend time with them.  We went through a lot to get them, and we were relatively old when we got them, so I don't want most of their waking hours spent somewhere else.  It's more of a lifestyle choice than an educational choice.
3.  There are germs in schools, and I hate germs.
4.  We have so much flexibility.  The kids can get all the sleep they need.  We can go on vacation in the middle of the school year.  We can go out for lunch on a weekday.  We can go to Community Bible Study together.
5.  I control their nutrition and environment, for the most part.
6.  They can learn about God, Korea, adoption, whatever else I want them to know, or more importantly, what they are in interested in learning.
7.  They learn at their own pace.
8.  We can read great books together.
9.  We don't have the pressure of homework.
10.  We can take advantage of the natural learning opportunities that happen all the time.
11.  Nobody will threaten them with knives or offer them drugs.
12.  I want them to learn to love learning, not just memorize facts.
13. I love learning right along with them!
14.  If we move, we don't have to consider the school district.
15.  I want to train them to have good moral character and healthy habits. That hasn't worked yet, but I'm hopeful.
16.  I want us to be a close-knit family.
That's all I have time for now.  Children are calling...

3 comments:

dave said...

I assumed all those things about the Janes family except 7,8, and 12. And I figured you wore fleece jumpers, so 10 also. :)

Janes Family said...

Oh yeah, fleece jumpers. That's my #1 reason for homeschooling. :)

Jane Rosenbohm said...

Your posting about home schooling is beautiful, but you really don't owe anyone an explanation. It's your business and you have made a wise decision for your children. Even as a public school teacher, I don't think public school is the best answer for everyone. It's wonderful to live in a time and place where we can make our own choices. Keep ua the good work, my dear!