Friday, May 12, 2017

Bosnian cooking class

My friend Nerma invited me and our friend Ann to her house to learn how to make a Bosnian dish called burek.  It's traditionally stuffed with meat and cheese, but of course Nerma veganized it.  We listened to Bosnian music while we worked.  First we watched Nerma roll out a little ball of dough until it was huge and as thin as paper.  Then she stuffed it with zucchini and rolled it up, and baked it in a special Bosnian pan. When it came out of the oven, she poured milk (non-dairy, of course) over it, which Ann and I thought was strange, but it was delicious!

 Then it was my turn to roll out a ball of dough.  It was definitely not as easy as Nerma made it look, and I didn't do it right. Ann tried next, and she didn't do any better than I did.  Nerma has the gift for sure.


Ann and I stuffed this one with zucchini and red peppers.  She said it looked like a colon. Then we were supposed to roll it up by lifting the tablecloth.  We weren't very good at that either.  We made and ate lots of them.  Nerma had to rush off to her daughter's school, so Ann and I cleaned up the kitchen, washed the dishes, and decorated Nerma's fruit.  :)
Such a fun, interesting, delicious experience!

No comments: