Monday, June 12, 2017

Colorado--Day 1

Our vacation starts with Cacey and AJ's wedding on June 10.  It was great to see everyone and celebrate with the newlyweds.



 There were fun yard games to play between the wedding and reception.

We left the reception early and started the long drive to Colorado.  I was sad to see all the dead animals along the road.  Then it got dark, and bugs started smashing into the windshield. I told Mike, "I can't mourn every bug that hits the windshield."  He said, "What kind of vegan ARE you?"
Around 10:30 p.m., he stopped at a gas station and bought some Brazilian extra-caffeinated coffee, and by 11:00, he was all hopped up on caffeine, talking loud and fast and constantly.  I've never seen him like that before.  Somewhere around 4:00 a.m., we stopped for gas.  I hadn't gotten any sleep and went inside in a fog to use the bathroom.  I remember feeling really tired and slightly confused, and Noah told me later that I was shuffling around the video gaming area, looking at my phone, and mumbling incoherently.  I don't even remember that.

By 6:15 a.m. and mile marker 58, the mountains were visible in the distance. Noah had been sleeping and told that he had had a dream that we were almost to the cabin when I made us turn around and go home because we had forgotten to bring Cheerios for the birds.  I insisted that we had to go back, because the birds had dreamed about us bringing them Cheerios. 

My amazing husband drove the whole way, and we arrived at the cabin around 10:30 Sunday morning.
On the counter was a box of Cheerios.  I said, "Hey look, Noah!  We don't have to go all the way back to Illinois to get Cheerios."

No comments: