Monday, August 17, 2020

Multi-tasking...and failing

 I've been working on my Census Bureau online training all morning.  I finished the online portion and then had to go to the iPhone portion.  That's where it started to go bad.  I've never had an iPhone and don't know all the ins and outs.  I figured out how to open the app I was supposed to be on, and I could see the speaker's mouth moving, but there was no sound.  I tried turning up the volume, but it was already up.  I messed around a little, trying to find settings, couldn't figure anything out. 

I got out my mountain of paperwork, found the number for the help line, called it.  Spent 10 minutes going through the automated options and another 10 minutes on hold, while mowing down a row of Oreos.  I did a Rev caption job while I was on hold. Finally decided I couldn't hold all day, because I need to finish 8 hours of training today.  So I found the number of someone who I thought might be my supervisor, so I called her.  She didn't answer.  I left a message.  When I got done leaving the message, I saw a message on my phone that someone left me a message.  It was from my actual supervisor, who was not the person I had just left a message for.  So I called her back.  Left a message. Called the original person back and told her to ignore my message.  My supervisor called me back.  Fortunately, the phone was in my hand, so I felt it buzz.  It did not audibly ring. 

I told her my issues with not being able to hear anything, and she said, "Did you try (this thing) and (this other thing)?" using terms I didn't understand.  It didn't take her long to realize that I have no clue about iPhones, and she started over, speaking to me as if I'm a foreign-speaking 5-year-old.  Eventually, we figured out the problem and fixed it.  I feel old and out-of-touch.

As soon as I hung up, I got a notification on my computer that I had a Rev webinar that I was supposed to attend, starting in 1 minute.  So I logged onto that.  Then Noah called and needed information about his appointment for his allergy shots.  The webinar was droning in the background as I called his doctor's office, talked to them, and called Noah back to relay that information to him, one ear on the webinar, and one eye on the iPhone.  

Reached a good stopping point in Census training, finished the Rev webinar, and am now taking a much-needed break to turn everything off, do a blog entry, pet a cat, look out the window and breathe.  In five minutes, I have to get back to the census and try to finish it before people start arriving home and wanting me to provide food.  I'm not doing any more Rev work today. 

No comments: