Monday, June 7, 2010

The tween

I was weeding the garden, and Noah was pitching baseballs against the back of the house.  I wanted some help, so I assumed my best "Tom Sawyer white washing the fence" tone of voice and said, "Wow, this is sure fun!  I love pulling out weeds.  The roots are coming out and everything!  Good times."   One-year-old Noah would have been sitting right next to me, watching and probably pulling some grass to chew.  Two-year-old Noah would have toddled over and done his best.  Three-year-old Noah would have asked five thousand questions about weeds, plants, worms, dirt, why this and why that. Four-year-old Noah would have been pulling weeds with all his heart.  Five-year-old Noah would have shown Sarah how to do it while doing it himself.  Six-year-old Noah would have encouraged all his friends to pull weeds along with him.  Seven-year-old Noah would have wanted to have a contest to see who could pull the most weeds in a minute.  But what did my eight-year-old say from all the way across the yard?  "Yeah, nice try, Mom."

No comments: