Monday, August 22, 2011

Bible

I'm reading through the Bible again.  I've used those "read through the Bible in a year" schedules before, but I don't think I got as much out of it as I should have, because my goal was not to spend time with God or learn more about who I am in Him, but to read through the Bible in a year.  I did the reading so I could check off the little box next to that day's date.  If I got behind, I stressed about it and rushed through it to catch up.

In Community Bible Study this spring, we studied Genesis. When it ended in May, I wanted to keep reading. Often in the summer, without the structure of CBS, I get lost. I read here and there, or sometimes not at all.  But this summer I continued on from Genesis, reading at least a chapter a day, sometimes more, with no pressure of fabricated schedules and deadlines.  I'm up to Deuteronomy 21.  Sometimes I can sense God telling me something through the reading.  God woke me up at 2:00 a.m. and reminded me that I should be writing it down so I don't forget.  I tried to go back  to sleep and tell Him I'd do it later, so here I am at 3:40 a.m., finally obeying.

So now my blog will contain the usual drivel, and occasionally some notes about what God is revealing to me as I read through the Bible.  If that freaks out any of the five of you who read my blog, I hope you'll get over it.  The next two posts will be about my reading, but that's just because I'm catching up.  Don't worry; I don't have lots to say every day, and many days, I don't have anything.

4 comments:

dave said...

We love your drivel. :)

Mike said...

i'm excited about the new notes! this must have been when you let jason out.

Anonymous said...

You make me smile.
I totally agree with you about the schedule thing. When I just go for the read, I get so much more out of it. Recently I read some of it in the living bible, just so I could feel like it was more of a story - I really enjoyed going about it that way.
Keep driveling. We love it and it's much better than dribbling.
~ j

Anonymous said...

Or drooling. We wouldn't want to see you drool. ;)

~Sue