Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sarah the great

Sarah is in a research study for allergies.  Yesterday we had to spend the entire day at the allergy place and had to spend the night too.  Having been with her constantly for the last 36 hours, I have compiled this list. 
Reasons why Sarah is a great kid:
1.      She is incredibly generous.  She’s always making things and giving them to people.  If she has something, she loves to share it with other people.  The nurses had a lot of trouble finding her veins, and they stuck her and dug around in her arms and hands repeatedly.  Not once did the kid cry.  Because of all the extra misery she went through, the research director gave her an extra $20 to buy whatever she wants.  She gave $2 to the church, spent $10 on a paintable piggy bank (which she wants to give away), and wants to give the other $8 to tsunami victims in Japan.  I didn't teach her that; it's just who she is.
2.      She’s brave, and she’s one tough cookie.  (See #1)
3.      She’s honest.   She told the nurses angrily, “You are hurting me.”
4.      She’s confident in who she is.  She is who she is with no apologies.
5.      She trusts God.  During the worst of her torment, she said to me, “Will you pray, Mom?”
6.      She’s cheerful if you wake her up in the middle of the night.  The nurses woke her up at midnight for a torture session, and she chatted pleasantly with them. 
7.      If she hears music, you can bet she will be dancing.  If there’s no music, she will make her own and dance to it.  And she doesn’t care who’s watching.  When we were at Walmart this morning, she was dancing down the main aisle and yelled back to me, “Mom! Do what I do!”  When she wasn’t looking, I walked like a normal person. When she turned around to make sure I was doing what she was doing, I would step it up a little.  Not enough, though, because she yelled, “Come on, Mom!  Get those hips swingin’!”
8.      She’s friendly.  There’s no one she doesn’t know.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Great, great post!

Lauren said...

:) Was that something you signed up for or has Sarah been having an allergy problem? (If you don't mind me asking...) :)

regarding your comment on my blog:

You know, I was thinking about that... keep me updated if your family is going to list it, because I love her house!!!

Aunt Kathy said...

Sarah is a super great kid! We all love her very much!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a gift from God Sarah is!!!! :)

~Sue

Anonymous said...

I think you taught her to be like she is...by your fine example!