Friday, August 26, 2011

Fooled!

Orange juice was on my grocery list.  This stuff looks like orange juice, right?  It's orange and it's made by Topicana after all.  The nice label, tricky marketing, and price fooled me.  Usually those "juice cocktails" that have hardly any juice and plenty of sugar are less expensive than real juice.  This stuff was on sale, but it was still priced like real juice.  In fact, it was even more than I would usually pay for orange juice, but I was sucked in by the "no pulp" and "calcium plus vitamin D".  The "50% less calories" should have been a tip-off, but I was drooling over the picture of that nice glass of orange juice and missed its significance. 

After I got it home and took a drink of it, the ruse was over.  It tasted like Tang, not orange juice.  So I finally studied the label (like I should have done before I bought it).  42% juice.   Made me wonder what the other 48% was....
Filtered water, a couple acids, some natural flavors, and...what? Reb A?  What on earth is that??  I googled it and discovered that it's some kind of artificial sweetener.  Learned my lesson.

No comments: