Monday, August 22, 2011

Deuteronomy 20

Today I was getting ready to read, and I saw the heading for Deuteronomy 20 titled "Instructions for soldiers".  I asked God to somehow show me how instructions for soldiers thousands of years ago could possibly apply to me now.  He was faithful to answer, and this is what I got out of it.  I read what Moses said in verses 3-4: "Don't be afraid as you go out to fight today!  For the Lord your God is going with you!  He will fight for you against your enemies, and He will give you the victory!" 

The very next verses talk about how they might be killed in battle.  That seemed like a contradiction to me.  Hadn't God just told them not to be afraid?  I assumed that meant He wouldn't let anything bad happen. But I went back and reread verses 3-4 and realized that He hadn't said nothing bad would happen; He just promised to be with them, to fight for them, and to give them the victory.  I too might face hardships, but I shouldn't be afraid, because God is with me, fighting for me against my greatest enemy, and will give me the victory! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!
Love this.
~ j