Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hope for the future

I was in the middle of a nightmare this morning when Sarah woke me up demanding breakfast.  I grabbed her and held her tight, and she noticed that I was sweaty and terrified and confused.  I told her I had a bad dream, and she said, "What was it about?"  She was actually more concerned about me than herself!  It was one of those rare glimpses of her growing up to be a decent person, the ones that give me hope and keep me going when I feel like giving up on her. So I told her all about it, and she listened!  She didn't even interrupt!  In the nightmare, I was being chased by a lunatic who was trying to stab me to death with scissors.  I told my friend, but she was too busy to help me.  I told my husband I needed help, but he said he had to go to work.  I called 911 and got an answering machine.  After I told Sarah all this, she said, "Sounds like everyone abandoned you."  The perfect empathetic statement!  A trained counselor couldn't have done it better. 

1 comment:

dave said...

Very touching! She is a sweet girl!

Jennifer also gets sweaty, terrified and confused if we wake her up demanding breakfast.