Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Just say no...to Mary Kay

I'm pretty easily pushed over and often feel obligated to say yes when I really mean no.  I was just chatting with a friend about that fact this very morning.  Maybe that's what made me brave and bold when the Mary Kay lady called.  [side note:  about 18 years ago, a Mary Kay lady said something to me that I still remember, word for word: "You know, you could be really pretty if you just wore some makeup."]  I hope it doesn't offend anyone when I say that I'm generally not very fond of Mary Kay ladies.  So when this one called this morning, I was uncharacteristically firm, polite (except for interrupting her), and...NOT pushed over.  :)

This is how it went:
I answered the phone, and the most chipper, enthusiastic voice chirped: Well hello!  My name is Barbie (not her real name, just in case), and I'm with Mary Kay! How are you this fine morning?

Me (full of fear and dread): Fine, thanks. How are you?
B:  Oh, I'm doing great!  Hey listen, I see that you've recently moved in, and I just bet you could use a makeover!
Me: No, actually....
B: Well I would be so glad to bring over some of my products and get to know you and...
Me: No thanks.
B: Let's just set up a time that's good for you, and I'll bring you a little bag of goodies to try and...
Me:  I don't wear any makeup at all, ever, so you should save your goodies for someone who would use them.
B: You know, Mary Kay has a great line of products...
[As she went on about her various lotions and potions, I completely tuned her out.  Finally, I heard a speck of silence, so I mustered up all my bravery].
Me:  Thanks for the offer, but I'm not into Mary Kay at all, and I'm saying no.
B: Ok then. If you ever change your mind, give me a call.

After I hung up, I felt large and in charge. Where did I get the nerve to say "I'm saying no" with such a convincing, confident air? 

1 comment:

dave said...

That was my sister, I gave her your number. :)