Saturday, January 28, 2012

Too attached to our stuff

Sarah cut off a big chunk of Barney, Noah's security item (he doesn't take him everywhere anymore, but he still sleeps with him).  I told her that her punishment was that she would have to throw out 2Blanken, which is one of her security items.  It's disgusting, and I can't wash it or else it falls apart and jams up the washing machine.  So I've been looking for a reason to throw it away.  She's never been as attached to it as Noah is to Barney anyway.  She put on her stoic face and mashed 2Blanken into the trash can.  Mike thought I was being too mean and rescued the nasty thing from the jaws of death.  Even Noah didn't think I should make her throw it away.  I guess I'm just a cold hard shell of a person.  When Mike went to return it to her, she was sitting on the bed sobbing, so I guess he did the right thing.

Noah's room is a terrible pit.  If we didn't constantly work on him, he'd be a hoarder just like those ones you see on TV.  He keeps every little piece of trash, and it all has sentimental value.  His drawers are stuffed with junk, and every surface is piled with stuff.  Mike asked him if he wanted him to clean his room for him.  Noah, knowing that his dad would plow through it with garbage bags, said no.  Just the thought of it made him teary eyed and sniffly.

I don't usually have an unnatural attachment to my stuff, but in my crazed PMS state this morning, I was dusting the piano and thinking about getting rid of the lamp that sits on it.  As I remembered that my realtor gave it to me as a housewarming present when I bought my first house, I dusted it off and put it back.

2 comments:

dave said...

Your post put me in a cleaning mood. I've been piling stuff in Hildas porch until I had time to sort through it. Today I filled 3 garbage cans and 1/2 the pickup bed to haul to the landfill, all just off the porch! If I can get a full pickup load by the end of the week the kids and I are going to the dump.

Angela said...

I can relate. I too am a cold, heartless mom and would have made my kid throw it away too. I have also been known (after warning my kids several times to clean their room)to take a garbage bag and remove all the items which are on the floor and clearly are not important enough to my children to put away properly. :-)

blessings from another
cold heartless mom