Friday, January 27, 2012

What's for dinner?

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  I'm not one of those organized people who has the whole week's meals planned.  I usually just fly by the seat of my pants.  Having just spent $100 at the grocery store a few days ago, I should have plenty of options.  I open the fridge and stare for awhile.  Nothing's coming to me.  It looks strangely empty.  How can that be?  I look around and see two hungry kids, both munching on something. 

When nothing inspires me, I have a couple go-to dinners I can almost always whip up.  I decided on tuna casserole.  Who doesn't have tuna sitting around? Me, apparently.  Down to my last option: scrambled eggs.  I pull out the carton of eggs.  Oh no.  It feels too light.  I open it...2 eggs.  Suddenly I wish I were one of those organized people with a plan.  I discover a bag of potatoes and 2 onions, and a plan takes shape.  I grate up the onions and potatoes, throw in the eggs, some flour, salt, and pepper, and fry up some potato pancakes.  The troops seem pleased enough with that, and as soon as "dinner" is over, I make another trip to the grocery store.

Now I have food, but still need inspiration.  What are you making?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your meal was creative to say the least. Since it had potatoe's in it I probably would have put ketchup and hot sauce on mine.

Over the years I found that one of my "go to" meals has been quesadilla's. I always have tortilla shells on hand and you can add just about anything to these.