Monday, March 26, 2012

2 Chronicles 25:2

I asked God to make His word come alive to me as I did my morning reading, and when I was on only the second verse, He stopped me in my tracks.  It said the king did what was right in the eyes of God but he sometimes resented it.  I do the same thing.  I do a whole lot of things that I really don't want to do, just because I know I should.  I serve at the food pantry at church, not because I'm full of love for God and His people, but out of a sense of duty and guilt.  I definitely don't enjoy working in my kids' classes at church, but I do it because I feel obligated to, not because my heart is overflowing with love for those kids.  I want to be an example for my kids of someone who serves God and helps people, but am I being hypocritical?  I know that the best way is to obey God out of a heart full of love for Him, but is it better to do what's right resentfully, or not to do anything at all?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I have the same problem... I decided to make myself do things I don't want to do and pray and pray about them for God to either change my attitude or show me that He wants me to do something else.