Monday, March 19, 2012

Dog vomit

Last night Mike and Noah went to Winter Jam, so I had several hours alone with Sarah.  We wasted our precious time together.  She stared at her computer, and I stared at mine.  We argued.  She spilled a whole can of powdered lemonade mix all over the kitchen, and I told her she could never have lemonade again. We fought.  I criticized her about the condition of her room.  We didn't do our usual bedtime prayers.  I didn't end the day with "I love you" but just a crossly spoken "Go to bed!"

This was only one day after my great Hearts at Home experience.  Didn't I retain anything?  Can't I be good for more than one day?  One of the speakers had quoted Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his foolishness."  She said don't be like that dog and go home and forget everything you learned today and start doing the same stupid stuff you've always done.  I realized that I was the stupid dog returning to my vomit, and I went to bed feeling yucky.

This morning, God reminded me that Lamentations 3:22-24 says that the Lord's mercies are new every morning.  When Sarah woke up, I smiled at her and said, "Good morning! I love you."  She said the same to me.  Then she said, "You're probably going to say no, because I know I can't ever have lemonade again, but can we make fresh-squeezed lemonade?  I know a good recipe..."

I told her I didn't have any lemons but I did just buy a whole bag of limes, so maybe we could make limeade.  She was excited about that, so we did it, and it was delicious!  Way better than dog vomit. 

No comments: