Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Deep

Noah was having some trouble with his school work, and he started getting emotional.  I told him to go do something else until he was feeling calm.  About an hour later, he came back and did fine.  I delivered a long lecture about how you can't think logically and rationally when you're emotional, and that's why you shouldn't argue with your wife when either of you is upset.  I could see I was losing him, so I said, "The same principal applies with your sister".  He could relate to that.  He said, "So when Sarah comes at me screaming and crying about something I supposedly did, I should tell her we can discuss it later when she's calmed down?"  I said yes, and also that it would be useful advice in a few years when he's driving, that he should never drive when he's upset or angry, because if you're feeling, you're not thinking.  We talked about how God gave us emotions, and it's good to feel, but don't try to do anything logical at the same time.

Later, I asked him if he wanted to work on a very intricate color-by-number picture with me.  While we were working on it, with our heads close together, he mentioned that there are some spaces that are supposed to remain uncolored.  That comment led me to talk to him about having margins in life, and leaving white spaces so we can appreciate the colors.  I knew he got it when he said, "Oh, that's why we have quiet time every day, right?"  I said, "Yes, exactly", and he said, "Wow, you're deep today, Mom."

No comments: