Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lesson in humility

Sarah got a rainbow loom for Christmas, and she hasn't been able to figure out how to make the more complicated bracelets on it.  I told her that it was just a matter of carefully reading the instructions and following along with the diagrams.  She said she had done that and still couldn't figure it out.  I was hoping not to have to get involved, because I dislike intricate little crafty projects like that, but finally I had to help her.  I (over) confidently started following the step-by-step instructions, making my rubber bands look just like the ones in the diagrams.  I was all cocky, thinking this was easier than I thought it would be.  Sarah kept saying, "Yeah, I got that far too.  It gets confusing when you have to start to looping."  I scoffed and doubted that.  After all, I have a college degree.  Surely I can figure out how to make a rubber band bracelet.
Well, it got super complicated and confusing when I had to start looping.  I read the instructions slowly, out loud to myself, studied the diagrams, and was utterly baffled.  Sarah looked smug.  I started searching online for a video tutorial.  I found one (done by a little girl), and suddenly it all made sense.  Sarah and I finished our bracelet.   It occurred to me that God gave us a hands-on tutorial when he sent Jesus to show us how to live.  Sometimes reading the instruction manual by itself isn't enough.  You have to see someone doing it in order to really understand.

No comments: