Thursday, May 22, 2014

The compromised Memorial Day pizza

I love fruit pizza.  This time of year when the fruit starts becoming reasonably priced, I can hardly wait to make one.  My ideal fruit pizza has a Pillsbury (the generic ones just aren't as good) sugar cookie crust and a lot of strawberries, blueberries, grapes, kiwi, and mandarin oranges.  I bought the supplies last night and was excited to make my first one of the season.  I gave the children a long math assignment and headed for the kitchen.  Then...
Sarah: Mommy, what are you making?
Me:  Ummm....(thinking about saying cauliflower with lima beans)....fruit pizza.
Sarah:  Oh yum!!!!  Can I help????????? Please oh please?????
Me:  After your math is done.
[She finishes her math in record time and appears at my elbow.]
S: Ok, here's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to use only the red and blue fruit, and I'm going to make it into a flag for Memorial Day!
[I like it when Noah helps in the kitchen, because he just does whatever I ask him ("open the cans, peel the potatoes", etc.).  Sarah, however, always has her own creative ideas and is usually more interested in making the food beautiful than delicious.  She likes to stay one step ahead of me.  Her bossy creativity bumps into my control issues quite often in the kitchen.]
Me: Hmmm.  Well, that sounds like a cute idea.  But I really like kiwi and grapes and mandarin oranges on my pizza.  
S: But I really want to make a flag.
M:  Well...is there any way we can compromise?  Maybe a multicolored flag?
S: Ugh. No, Mom.  It's an American flag.
M:  Right.  Well ok then.  Make your flag.
She made this cute little thing.  Then I said, "How about I take a picture of that one and then add some more fruit to it?"  She didn't like that idea at all.

But I played the Mom card and did it anyway.  But I only used red and blue fruit, so it's still a compromise. 

No comments: