Friday, August 27, 2010

Future serial killer, part 2

Sarah took the cat out to the back yard this afternoon while I was helping Noah organize his Legos.  After awhile, I looked out the window to check on them and saw that Jason was completely drenched.  I yelled out the window to ask Sarah why the cat was all wet, and she replied, "Because I threw him in the pool!"  I stared at her in shock as the anger welled up, and I forced my voice to be quiet as I ordered her into the house.  Fortunately, she was way out in the yard, and it took a good ten seconds for her to get in, so I was able to get a grip on myself before I talked to her. 

In that ten seconds, I was also planning all kinds of punishments for her, but when she stood in front of me looking truly repentant, I asked her WHY she threw the cat into the pool.  She said quite sincerely, "I was just curious to see if he could swim."  She said she was sorry and she'd never do it again.  She looked all sad and scared and sorry, and it suddenly stuck me funny that she was curious if Jason could swim so she threw him in the pool to find out.  I laughed to myself, but I kept my serious mommy face on while I explained that it's good to be curious and conduct experiments, but not if it involves being cruel to pets or people. 

P.S.--Sarah says that Jason is a very good swimmer.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thank goodness curiosity did not kill the cat :-)