Monday, August 16, 2010

Wisconsin--Day 2

Sunday, August 8, 2010

6:40 a.m. We’re up, after a night of thunderstorms. We had a family devotion and prayer and made breakfast. (I have a cute picture of Sarah helping cook breakfast, but she's wearing only underwear, so I guess that's not bloggable). The kids played in the sand and tried to catch minnows in the lake, while Mike and I kayaked all the way across the lake to the second island. We explored the island and listened to the loons. When we got back, Noah pretended he was Christopher Columbus and kayaked all the way to the first island by himself.

11:00 a.m. I packed a picnic, and we headed out for a hike in Nicolet National Forest.
We went on the Quartz Hill Trail, which leads to an old fire tower (only the concrete stump remains).  It was uphill, hot, humid, and swarming with mosquitoes.  We decided not to picnic after all and came home for lunch. 

2:30 p.m.  I fished off the dock (no action) while the kids played in the water and Mike called the cabin owner to ask about where to rent a jet ski.  I took a major nap while Mike and the kids were kayaking.

5:00 p.m.  Drove to an incredible candy store in Lakewood.  It’s a house that has been entirely filled with every kind of candy you could ever want. Noah selected an Anakin Skywalker pez dispenser and some rock candy, and all Sarah wanted was Fun Dip.





6:00 p.m.  Roasted hot dogs on the fire and went fishing off the dock.  Sarah pulled out a nightcrawler and announced, “I’m not hooking this one, because she’s pregnant.”  As she was putting a different worm on her hook, she said, “Ew, mustard squirted out of this one.”  We saw several little bluegill (the water is very clear), but nobody caught anything.

8:00 p.m.  Kids are going to bed, and I am doing laundry.  The kids are completely out of clothes already on our first full day here, because they walk right into the lake wearing their clothes, and then put on dry clothes and do it all over again.

1 comment:

Laura Carlson said...

I didn't realize they still made fun dip. We gotta get a candy store like this in Glennallen, AK. What do you think are the chances? I guess I will have to just be happy that we have a Thai trailer. It is a little trailer that sits at a gas station. You just go up to the side and order your food. That will have to suffice for my candy.