Thursday, February 22, 2024

The Fast - Day 10

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

This is now officially the longest I’ve ever fasted, although technically it’s not a fast. I am eating, just not much, and not whatever I want. I’ve learned from previous fasts that I won’t go the distance with no nutrients at all, and if I’m too weak to do anything, what’s the point? I had a little chat with my pastor last night, and he referenced a story from the Bible that I know I've read several times, but I didn't remember it. (That man knows the Bible better than anyone I've ever met.) It was from 1 Samuel 14, where the Israelites are battling the Philistines, and King Saul makes this rash proclamation that nobody is allowed to eat until sundown. His son Jonathan didn't hear the proclamation, wandered into a forest dripping with honey (mmmm, just imagine!!), dipped his staff into it, put it in his mouth, and "his countenance brightened". I can relate. My countenance brightened so much when I licked that drop of honey off my finger on Day 7 that I wrote a poem about it. 😋 My pastor said the point is that you don't fast while you're in the battle. You fast before the battle to be prepared, but while you're in it, you eat, because you need the strength! His family is in a battle right now, and that's part of the reason I'm fasting. That's one thing about fasting: you make yourself weak so that others can be strengthened by your prayers. It's not the context of 2 Cor. 12:9-10, but it applies. "For when I am weak, then I am strong." When I'm physically weakened by a fast, I'm spiritually strengthened.


I messaged Mike at work and asked if he’d like a bowl of oatmeal for dinner or a cup of broth with saltines. He chose the latter. We sat at the table and enjoyed that scrumptious dinner together, after sincerely thanking the Lord for it. And we had the formerly-nasty-now-delicious yogurt melts for dessert. They taste just like ice cream to me!


No comments: