Saturday, June 6, 2020

Day 82--the inaugural drive

The negotiations begin.
Sarah: Can I go to a friend's house?
Me: What friend?
S: Kata.
M: Kata lives in Deer Creek. Hmm...
S: I'll ask her if we can meet somewhere and tell her that you don't want me driving all the way to Deer Creek.
M: Good idea.
S: Ok, we're meeting at Eli's.  Dad's asleep, but I left him a note.
I almost tell her that she doesn't need to leave him a note when I've already given permission, but decide not to, because overcommunication is much better than undercommunication.  Instead, I just  tell her to keep her phone with her and her Life360 app turned on so I can see where she is. I tell her that she's taking the van.  She frowns slightly (because she'd rather take my car) but knows better than to argue.
S: Ok. The van is easy to drive anyway.
M: Yes, but it is harder to park, especially on the street.
S: I'll park in the lot behind Eli's.
M: Ok, but it will probably be full.  You could park at the library.  It's closed anyway, and it's a short walk from there to Eli's.
She likes this idea and heads for the van. I remind her not to use her phone or even look at it while she's driving.  She agrees and goes back in the house to retrieve the keys.  Prayer over the vehicle and the new driver, and she gets in.
The van slowly rolls out into the street, and I'm confused because I didn't hear the engine start.  Now she's out in the middle of the street, just sitting there.  I yell at her to turn the key all the way.  She's flapping her arms around and looking panicked.  I charge barefoot and bra-less into the street and turn the key.  Nothing.  I assume the battery somehow died.  Time to wake up Mike.

I wake him out of  a sound sleep not very gently and tell him there's a bit of a crisis outside.  He comes flying out barefoot (and bra-less) and realizes that the van won't start because it's in gear.  Quick explanation to Sarah, and off she goes.
This is just as frightening (probably more) as Noah's first solo drive.

No comments: