Thursday, September 17, 2015

Astronomy

We are doing an Astronomy class this year, and it is more interesting and useful than the Astronomy class I took in college.  Today we built a compass in the back yard.
 First we had to calculate the exact time that the sun would be directly overhead at our location. That was interesting. It involved math and lines of longitude.
 We got distracted by a beautiful dragonfly but not for long, because...
 the markers had to go in the ground at the exact time that the sun was directly overhead.
 I sat on the ground to take pictures, and Marty stood on my leg to oversee the project.
 The completed compass.  I learned that when the sun is directly overhead, your shadow points north.  That's probably common knowledge, but I never realized it.
Distracted by a hornets' nest on the way back to the house.

No comments: