Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day 4

I'm glad I wasn't thrown into this lifestyle of being home all the time and suddenly homeschooling my kids with no forethought or preparation.  I've done this for years.  I knew I wanted to homeschool before we even had kids. Sarah taught me that it's not necessarily the best option all the time for every child, so we adjusted and adapted.  She needs all that social interaction that public school offers her.  She thrives on all that activity and likes to be booked up and busy with social activities in every free moment. Now she's back in the fold of family and homeschooling, and though she's not thrilled,  at least it feels familiar to her and to me.  I know how to do it, and now that I understand her better, I know how to do it better for her.  I know I have to give her lots of time, attention, and interaction, even though everything in me cries out for the opposite.  I can do it, because I know it's not going to be for the rest of her school career, but probably only for the rest of this school year, which is not really that long.

We're back to the daily whiteboard schedule, which keeps us moving toward things we should do, and also reminds us what day it is.  I remember this feeling from a decade ago when I was home with little kids all day.  It's easy to wake up and spend a good five minutes trying to figure out what day it is when the calendar looks the same (blank) every day. I actually much prefer it this way.  The crazy busyness is not my thing.  I remember just two Saturdays ago, we were so overbooked that I was stressed about how we were going to manage it all.  Most everything on the calendar since then has been crossed out, which to me is a beautiful sight.
I understand that the extroverted, fast-paced people are in distress about having to stay home in isolation, and I know that parents who have always sent their kids to school are uncomfortable with the situation we're currently in, and I feel bad for being so happy.

Sarah is working on a project that makes her happy, painting the stairs.

Shiloh is also working on a project that makes her happy, one that I would also enjoy, but I have other things to do.
Noah is working with Brad again today, which is a blessing. It gives him the chance to do something productive (he likes to work), make money (he likes money way too much), and his absence lets me give Sarah more of that social interaction she craves.

It's raining, and storms are predicted this afternoon, which also makes me happy. It's going to be a good day.

Later in the afternoon....
Sarah: Do you still have that junky old calculator in the school drawer?
Me: Yes.
S [from the couch]: Can you hand it to me, please?
M: Where is the multimillion dollar fancy schmancy calculator I had to buy you for school?
S: In my room.
M: Why don't you use that?
S: I'll have to eventually, but this is just my personal rebellion right now.

This is the kind of little thing that I just let go.  Let her have her little personal rebellion if it makes her feel in control

And later in the evening...
Sarah: Noah, you're lucky you're doing real things and you don't have to do honors chemistry.
Noah: Honors chemistry is real too, unless this is all a simulation, which is entirely possible.

No comments: