Sunday, March 22, 2020

Day 7--cooking and gaming

I haven't been to a store in the last 8 days, so breakfast is what I can make out of what I can find in my house.  Cream of wheat sounded good, but I didn't have any.  While I was looking for it, I spotted some quinoa, so I thought...cream of quinoa!  I was excited to find a can of coconut milk in the basement, so I used part of that to make it creamy.  I had bought a big bunch of green bananas 8 days ago, and they are ripe now, so I sliced one of those into my bowl.  I also found nutmeg berries in my spice cabinet, so I grated some in there while I thought about a happy memory of my friend Joan.

I have nothing but time today, so here's the story. At a women's retreat 5 years ago, we were assigned a person about whom to write a descriptive acrostic.  Joan got my name, and what she wrote was so precious to me that I still have it.

In case you can't read that, she wrote," Nutmeg is often that hidden spice that perks up food.  You know there's something special in the ingredients.  You don't know what it is, but it binds all the other flavors together to make it so good!"
Cream of quinoa is not quite the same texture as cream of wheat, but it is good!  A nice hot breakfast on this chilly morning.  Looking forward to snow this afternoon.
 His hair was getting really long.  See how much I just cut off?
After a juggling session, Mike is now teaching Noah how to play euchre.
 I made cookies,
 and Mike took a nap with the babies.
 Mike taught Sarah to play euchre, and then we all played a few rounds together.  Mike and I used to play euchre with another couple when we were newlyweds.  We never once thought that someday we would be playing with our own teenagers!
Sarah taught Noah to play one of her favorite card games, peanut butter and jelly.

No comments: