Friday, March 20, 2020

Day 5

It's been a great morning!  The kids shuffled out for devotions.  We had a spelling lesson.  They can now both successfully spell "quarantine", and they know the difference between hoard and horde. Here's my picture of hoarded toilet paper. Clearly, I'm not an artist, but they got the idea.
I asked them if they would like to read a book with me.  One ignored me and the other grunted, so I took that as a yes and started reading.  I know they listened, because I asked a question about it, and they knew the answer.  The book is called "In Order To Live" by Yeonmi Park, and it's about a girl who was born in North Korea and escaped. I showed them her picture and said, "Isn't she beautiful?" and Sarah said, "Yes, she's very symmetrical."  I suggested Noah not use that as a pickup line.

Then we made a list of good things resulting from this time.  Granted, I was the main one contributing, but they did utter a word or two.  Noah pointed out that the environment is healing because people aren't polluting it with their vehicles as much.  Gas prices are dropping.  More time to reconnect as a family.  Less stress and rushing around.  Reawareness of our need for God.  More sleep.  Great time to be vegan, because even though there's no animal meat in the stores, there's always an abundance of plant meat.

Lunch and school work happened. Then we had a spontaneous lesson about direct vs. indirect objects, which just came up in conversation, which is my favorite way of homeschooling.

Sarah and I had some fun Wii time, which is self-limiting because the rechargeable batteries are very old and don't hold much of a charge anymore.
Sarah: Do you want to make a cake with me, Noah?
Noah: No thanks. I'm practicing social distancing.
Sarah (to me): I just wanted to spend a little quality time with him.
Me (to Noah): She just wanted to spend a little quality time with you.
N: Oh, well ok then, we can make a cake.
S (whispering to me): Little does he know I've got a whole fun day planned for us. While the cake is baking, we're going to do exfoliating face masks!

I had a brief moment of grouchiness when I discovered an open mug of coffee in the fridge, which is against the rules, because something very bad happened the last time she did that.  I mentioned it rather politely and totally calmly, and she said she would remedy it, and we moved on.  But then 30 minutes later, I heard a bumping and sloshing in the bay window, and there was Shadow, pawing at....an open mug of coffee!  I neither calmly nor politely yelled at Sarah.
Making a cake.


Doing school.

No comments: