Saturday, March 21, 2020

Day 6--Now it's the weekend

Kids slept late.  I got a surprising amount of transcription work for a Saturday, so that's how I spent most of the morning.  I'm now trying to figure out the technology to lead my Bible study without physically meeting together.  Mike is planning to teach the kids how to play euchre.
Meanwhile, he's in the basement working on installing a backup system for the sump pump.  He just came upstairs all wet and said the water from the check valve (whatever that is) exploded right in his face.  You can't really tell from this picture how wet he is, but believe me, he's soaked.
I cleaned out and organized a drawer in the kitchen.


The toilet paper situation is absolutely bizarre.  There's been a shortage of toilet paper for several weeks, which I don't understand, and now you can't even find bidets to buy.  Thankfully we bought two $20 bidets from Amazon when we got home from Korea two years ago, and I always have plenty of toilet paper stocked up in the basement, because I buy it in bulk whenever there's a good sale.  Today a friend told me about the scene at Walmart.  Word got out that they were getting in a shipment of toilet paper today and would open their doors at 7:00 a.m. for the elderly to shop one hour before the general population.  She arrived at 6:45 a.m. and there was already a line of people standing out in the cold waiting for the doors to open.  There were three police officers at each end of the toilet paper aisle, keeping the peace (she said an employee told her a fight broke out yesterday over toilet paper) and directing the one-way traffic down that aisle and making sure nobody took more than the allotted one pack. Today I bartered a deal with my friend Denise.  I told her I would give her a six-pack of toilet paper for two weeks' rental of her Wii remotes, which she doesn't use.  These are strange times indeed.

We had church at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon, because we've all been ordered to "shelter in place" starting at 5:00 p.m. today.  Our pastor, worship leader, and a few elders livestreamed from the church building, and we watched from the school room. It was nice to be able to snack and walk around and stretch during the sermon. 

We didn't end up playing euchre, but we did have lots of fun playing Wii.  It was a good day.

No comments: