Friday, November 12, 2010

Smoking, etc.

School took a weird, rather psychedlic twist today.  We did our normal things early and then had some wrestling

and went outside to enjoy the last perfect day of fall.  Had a picnic on the trampoline, and Sarah came in to get dessert. [A little aside here: when we were in Wisconsin, we visited an old fashioned candy shop that had all the old retro candy, and Noah bought some candy cigarettes.]  She returned and yelled (as loudly as only Sarah can) across the yard, "Hey, Noah!  Can I have one of your cigarettes?"  Noah yelled back, "Yes, but don't forget to smoke it; don't just chew it!"  I glanced around to see if any neighbors were out.  Didn't see any.

[A big aside here:  Several weeks ago, the principal emailed me some information to share with my students on the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes.  I've had it in my inbox ever since, trying to figure out how to work that naturally into the school day.]  While they were smoking their candy cigarettes, I seized the opportunity to regale them with tales of black lung, wrinkles, cancer, and emphysema.
It seemed like a natural segue to move on to drying weed.  We've been growing catnip all summer, and today was the perfect day to harvest the crop and start drying it.  Jason was very much into this project.  He got totally intoxicated.

2 comments:

dave said...

My Dad just quit 3 weeks ago. 52 or so years of daily smoking and he decided to quit, set them aside, and hasn't even mentioned them again.
We don't talk about it, but I am quite proud.

Janes Family said...

Wow, that is impressive! Good for him!