Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Day 43

Spent a few hours this morning working, focusing on the rush jobs. They pay higher (72 cents a minute vs. 54 cents a minute), but can involve a little stress, because if you run into a problem, you don't have much time to resolve it.  Sometimes (like today) I'm in the mood for rush jobs, but mostly I stick with the low-stress, lower-paying jobs.

Then I went on a pretend African safari and saw cheetahs and giraffes.
Sarah and I went on a little trip.  She got a free taco at Taco Bell and free fries at Steak 'n Shake, and I got to watch geese.  I saw my Walmart babies at the kiddie pool at Lake Steak 'n Shake, with their parents watching over them.

But the big fun happened at the park where I usually go in the spring to watch geese.  We happened to get there right when goslings were hatching.  I got to see babies from two different nests hatching one right after the other.  I even got to see some baby turtles.  It was pure bliss.



 I think it's so funny when they stick their butts up in the water like that.


 I would love to be able to glide from flying to land gracefully on the water like they do.

 I called this one Mr. Wonky Feather.
 This mother stood up and I could see the baby coming out of the egg, and a few minutes later, he appeared from underneath her wing.
A few minutes later, another poked its tiny beak out.
I found a nest with four cold eggs in it that had been laid too close to the water and got flooded out over the weekend when we had a lot of rain and the pond water rose. I'm sure there's no hope of hatching it, but I brought one home and put it in the incubator with my duck egg, which is due to hatch tomorrow, but surely won't.  

I managed to sit in goose poop while I was taking pictures, so I had to take my pants off before I got in the car and drive home pantless.  

In other news, even summer events are starting to drop off our calendar.  Today it was the Youth Group mission trip to Denver in June.

No comments: