Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Day 17

It's been over 2 weeks since I've been to any store, so creating a healthy breakfast is an adventure.  The last greens I bought was a bunch of kale, because that stuff is hearty and will last a long time.  I stored it carefully and use a little on most days in some way.  It's starting to get a little limp, so it's perfect for smoothies.
I still have some of the coconut milk I used for cream of quinoa, and that is one of my favorite things to put in a smoothie.  It's full of creamy, fatty deliciousness.  I found half of an extremely overripe banana on the counter (Sarah used the other half in a smoothie yesterday) and four very soft clementines in the fridge.  Add half a bag of freezer burned mango from the Great Defrost, and there you go.  It's not the best smoothie I've ever made, but it's certainly not the worst.  I couldn't decide whether to drink it or turn it into a smoothie bowl, so I did half and half.
And kitty gets to lap up the dregs.

Now I'm off to set up a socially-distanced treasure hunt in my friend's neighborhood for her birthday.  She's another of the bananagirls, so of course I'll be wearing my banana suit. This time I'm adding a super hero cape, so if you see SuperBanana driving through Morton, you'll know.

 See the clue? It's by the pool, which rhymes with school, which is where the grand prize (toilet paper) is.

I went for a walk and a guy tripped in front of me and almost went facefirst into the asphalt.  I spent the next 20 minutes of my walk wondering what I would have done if he had.  Would I have touched him or just called 9-1-1 from 6 feet away?  I ended up deciding I would have touched him but then after he was in the ambulance, I would have gone straight home and scrubbed like a surgeon.  

It still seems slightly offensive when people steer a wide berth around you as if you're revolting.  I wonder if, when this is all over, it will seem strange to be close to people again.  In less than a month, we've gone from handshakes and hugs to fistbumps to elbow and foot bumps to airhugs from 6 feet away.  I saw a  mom and toddler approaching on my side of the street, so I gave them a friendly wave and crossed to the other side.  I heard the kid asking his mom, "Why did she go way over there?" and the Mom said, "We're not supposed to get too close to people, remember?" and he asked, "But why?"  By then I was too far away to hear, but it made me realize something new that I'm thankful for: not having to explain this whole situation to a curious toddler.  

Then I saw an 11-week-old maltiepoo coming around the corner.  It was adorable, and it was rushing excitedly at me.  I asked its mom if I could take a picture from 6 feet away.  It was gutwrenching not to pet it.

Mama Duck is on her nest today.  Walking by on the sidewalk, one would never guess that there's a mother there, keeping a dozen babies warm.  It makes me smile every time I go by, because she and I have a secret.
Lots of good artists in my neighborhood.
I am not a good artist, but I leave messages for my little boys across the street.  They turned 4 and 2 this week.  I'm looking forward to being able to play with them again.

No comments: