Thursday, May 14, 2020

Day 58

I slept all night for the first time in years, and now I have lots of energy to get things done!  Laundry is going, beans are cooking, lots of other little things done, and it's still early.  Operation Clean Out The Fridge is in full force. I live with people who leave the dregs of bottles in the fridge and start a new bottle. I rinsed out the contents of no less than SEVEN bottles and dumped it all in the crockpot. Added a pound of navy beans, a chopped onion, and some spices, and we'll have baked beans by dinner time. Lots of space in the fridge now too.

I hung Mike's heavy clothes in the garage to dry, so they don't hold up the drying process of all the other clothes in the dryer.  Must remember not to hit the garage door button until they're dry! 
Sarah had to give her final speech for school today.  It was about why having siblings is better than being an only child. She chose the topic herself, and the teacher said he's never heard a persuasive speech on that topic before.  I read her speech and changed "complement" to "compliment" and made a few other grammatical corrections.  She wasn't aware that I was doing that, because she was having breakfast.  It was on my computer, and I couldn't help myself.  Thanks to online schooling, I got to hover in the background and hear her give it.  She did a good job.  Before she started, she warned me to be normal and quiet and suggested I go for a walk.  I thought I had a little time to prepare myself to be normal, so I was whooping it up, trying to get out all the weird, when I heard her say to her teacher, "Sorry, my mom is in the background."  After she was done, I explained the difference between "compliment" and "complement" and she said, "Oh, well I meant 'compliment' but I typed 'complement', but the computer must have auto-corrected it."  I said, "No, the computer doesn't understand which word you wanted to use.  I mama-corrected it."

A lovely pair of red finches made a nest in our light fixture outside the back door.  I saw them both eating at the feeder on the other side of the house, so I used that opportunity to climb up and check on the nest.  There are two tiny eggs inside!  I've never seen finch eggs before, and I'm super excited to watch them hatch.  I'm trying to figure out how to hang a mirror on the soffit above the nest without disturbing them. There's lots of poop on the light bulb. 
The phone rang at about 11:30 and changed our day so much that the afternoon requires a whole separate blog post.

No comments: